This month’s top picks amongst the many DIY car camping conversions are on the opposite sides of the difficulty spectrum – a very simple Skoda Octavia conversion and a more advanced Subaru Outback. Which one is your favorite?
Skoda Octavia – a super minimalistic camper conversion
…sleep anywhere, nobody takes notice – is the author’s subtitle for this conversion, and he’s right!
What I like about this Skoda Octavia micro camper (stealth) conversion
- simplicity – it’s just a bunch of boards, cleverly cut & joined together by upholstery
- modularity / reversibillity – fold it halfway and you can pop the rear seats back up
- storage – it creates a double floor you can use all the time – car camping or regular usage with 5 seats in use
- minimalism – when folded it doesn’t take up much space at all
- affordability – plastic crates, plywood and upholstery won’t cost you much
Thumbs up to the author Gottardo Pestalozzi! Here’s a second video showing you how to convert your car yourself.
Subaru Outback – 1 person car camping conversion
This one even has a laptop table! How cool is that 🙂
What I like about this Subaru Outback microcamper conversion
- lots of good storage space – clever narrow shelf design leading to…
- …plenty of sleeping room for a single person
- pull-out tables for additional room or comfort when stationary. Sit back in a camping chair, put your coffee down on the table and your feet up 🙂
- did I mention it also has a laptop table? Find out how to make it in this video.
This one isn’t as easy to create – you will need proper DIY gear and some skills, but when did that stop a keen DIY camper huh?
Check out the author’s video on how to make this baby for your Subaru. More on that on their website roadtoridge.com.
Have any good candidates for our DIY car camping / microcamper conversions of the month? Drop them in the comments…