This simple conversion is a good way to test whether you will enjoy car camping or not. Or whether you want to do a more advanced conversion later. All you need is a double bed grill, some hinges, and legs – you could make them out of wood or buy ready-made legs from a DIY shop.
You can easily decide on the height – depending on whether you’d like more storage space underneath or more headroom above.
Just add a foldable mattress – or two (you can find it in Lidl or any home & garden shops for around 30 EUR a piece).
What I like about the conversion
- easy to make as you are only adjusting the bed grill, no need to create the whole bed yourself
- can purchase all of the other parts too (legs, mattress, hinges)
Images courtesy of Rastislav Capliar
🏆Best cars for camping 🏆
- Fiat Doblò camper XL, High Roof 🇪🇺 4.0/5
- Honda Odyssey 🇺🇸 4.0/5
- Volkswagen Sharan 🇪🇺 3.9/5
- Caddy Maxi Camper (Life) 🇪🇺 3.8/5
Founder of NimbleCamper.com, avid traveler and outdoor enthusiast. Car camping and microcamping allows me to keep traveling and exploring with a much greater level of freedom & privacy – to go anywhere and sleep anywhere. I didn’t have 30K to buy a VW Multivan, so found my way to the world of everyday car camping conversions. Here I share my experiences and what I learn.