Best DIY small cars to campers conversion videos – micro camper conversion kits: Dec 2020
This website is supported by our visitors. I sometimes earn affiliate commissions when you click through the links to affiliate partners and products, that I have selected manually and would or have bought myself – at no cost to you.
It always amazes me how creative folks who like car camping are – so many ways one can turn a standard car into a camper and sleep in it! Here are some of the best conversions in my opinion, that fit our simple car camping criteria.
Turn your Van/Bus into a Camper featuring VW Touran
By Mechanical Rhino – who is quite handy with all kinds of random DIY challenges
What I like especially:
- simple enough – take the seats out, bring the rack in, put a mattress on it – and you’re done
- the rack requires a good bit of DIY skills, but it’s still pretty minimalistic
- clever tricks like the boot door safety lock to keep it ajar 🙂
- removable camper conversion – it keeps the car as it is – no hardcore irreversible conversion (where your car is only a camper, not a 5 seater anymore)
These might come in handy...
...and you'll help keep this website going too - thanks! 🙂
Pressure solar camping shower (pumped) – 10l
This camping shower is easy to transfer and doesn’t need to hang in the air – it has a built-in pump that lets you pressurise the chamber and shower or use it in the sink anywhere. It’s black, so the longer you leave it in the sun, the warmer the water will be (or just leave it in a hot closed car in the summer).
- Lightweight: 870 g including the bag
- 10 litre capacity | On/off button on the handle to prevent waste
Ford Galaxy DIY Campervan Conversion kit
by Will’s Whereabouts – who really puts the #microcamper to the test!
🏆Best cars for camping 🏆
- Fiat Doblò camper XL, High Roof 🇪🇺 4.0/5
- Honda Odyssey 🇺🇸 4.0/5
- Volkswagen Sharan 🇪🇺 3.9/5
- Caddy Maxi Camper (Life) 🇪🇺 3.8/5
See all cars in our database, their boot dimensions and more ➡️
What I like especially:
- simple enough – use of standard wooden crates for storage under a simple enough rack (not taking into account the additional wiring & battery, that’s more advanced, but not a requirement)
- the racks doubles up as a sofa too!
- clever tricks like the down to earth but multi-functional window curtains from linen mesh
And here’s my one! I don’t have a video though… Just this shameless plug-in 😀
WV Sharan (5 seater) reversible microcamper:
6-person inflatable camping shelter – air seconds base connect – £299.99
Don’t like fiddling around with poles? This inflatable car tent might be the right choice for you. The sheet + poles make joining it to your car even more flexible. It has two large openings on opposite ends, giving you a choice of which side you’ll attach to the vehicle. It fits most MPVs – tailgate or side-door, you can connect it from two ends
- Height: 2.25 m (opening for tailgate 1.75m) | Floor area: 6.25 m2 (2.5×2.5m) | Comfortable for 6 people
- Openings on 4 sides (2 suitable for a car) | but only 1 mosquito net
- Weight 13kg
- Easy installation: Rapid pitching thanks to its all-in-one inflatable structure (requires a separate pump though)
- The fabric filters UV rays with a UPF of 50+, Waterproof, good quality – tested in long rain and strong winds, it holds up pretty well (relatively to the price)