VW Caddy is itself one of the best medium cars (small camper vans) for car camping. It’s #1 on our list of best medium cars for car camping. Converting a VW Caddy isn’t hard – this post will show you a very clever and simple VW Caddy Maxi camper conversion kit you can create for your Caddy. This solution will give you a good storage room underneath the bed and is easily reversible, which we value here a lot! (Meaning you can easily switch between Caddy camper/bed and Caddy a standard car with back seats. From all the solutions I’ve seen, I find this is one of the simplest solutions out there – everyone can do it. It’s as simple as my VW Sharan car camping conversion here dare I say! 🙂
The solution comes from Reiner Beck @ Tramposito.com – just a single post about this DIY Caddy car camping conversion – homemade camping box/boot jump, that is easily lost amongst the multitude of their travel and outdoors posts.
All the author needed was this:
- 3pcs wooden boards (blockboards), 58×112 cm, 22mm thick
- 3pcs plywood 120×40 cm, 16mm thick
- hinges/fittings (7 hinges 42x80mm, 6pcs screw-on brackets, 1m cord)
- M8 x 60 or 8x40mm screws for wood at the top (bed)
The resulting bed surface is 179cm long, which is just about the right length for a comfortable sleep (if you’re about 180cm tall).
🏆Best cars for camping 🏆
- Fiat Doblò camper XL, High Roof 🇪🇺 4.0/5
- Honda Odyssey 🇺🇸 4.0/5
- Volkswagen Sharan 🇪🇺 3.9/5
- Caddy Maxi Camper (Life) 🇪🇺 3.8/5
You’ll need some standard DIY tools – electric screwdriver, drill, a saw.
The rest you can gather from the authors gallery below.
More Caddy posts:
What I love about the Caddy Camping conversion kit:
- very easy to hide away + can stay in the car (so you have both – a camper and a normal car always ready when needed)
- no need to remove middle seats (again, it’s always ready for camping, as well as driving the family around)
- it’s not as tall as typical camping boxes – which I find great as most camping boxes have too much storage leaving not enough room for your head… and cost 15x as much too.
- not expensive at all – just wooden boards and a few hinges, very likely under 70 EUR
- simple enough to build
- you can turn it around and make a sofa out of it 🙂
No time to make your own?
Hire one for a test ride (or rent yours if you already have one)
More DIY Camper conversion plans – adjustable for Caddy:
This Renault Kangoo + Skoda Yeti DIY car camping conversion comes with detailed drawings and diagrams that you can easily adjust to fit your Caddy
+ as a bonus, you’ll find a manual on how to create mozzie nets out of an old tent or thermal window screens
Skoda Roomster DIY car camping conversion – very minimal, therefore easy to adjust for a Caddy:
And another Caddy DIY Camping box – this one is more complex, but comes with great diagrams and detailed measurements:
What do you think? If you’re going to attempt this build / conversion, share some photos in a link in the comments below!
Enjoy the ride (and the sleep!)
Check this out – NimbleCamper rated database: Best cars for car camping
Browse a database of campers that’s very easy to filter by boot length, width, consumption and more…
REVIEWS OF OUR TOP CARS FOR CAMPING (MICROCAMPERS)
VW Caddy (Maxi) Camper
(top pick for size)
One of the biggest – small cars, best suited for car camping conversions. Find all about that here – dimensions, review, images, gear, useful links.
VW Sharan Camper
(top pick for size+comfort)
Spacious and great comfort. Choose the Sharan/Alhambra if you plan long drives and want comfort.
Founder of NimbleCamper.com, avid traveler and outdoor enthusiast. Car camping and microcamping allows me to keep traveling and exploring with a much greater level of freedom & privacy – to go anywhere and sleep anywhere. I didn’t have 30K to buy a VW Multivan, so found my way to the world of everyday car camping conversions. Here I share my experiences and what I learn.