VW Caddy is itself one of the best medium cars for car camping. It’s #1 on our list of best medium cars for car camping. You don’t need to do much with it if it’s just an occasional trip – just remove the rear seats, lift the back seats and put a mattress down. But what if you want to use your Caddy as a camper more often? And store some gear under your bed? I’ve found one of the simplest solutions out there – everyone can do it. It’s as simple as my VW Sharan car camping conversion here dare I say! 🙂
The solution comes from Reiner Beck @ Tramposito.com – just a single post about this DIY Caddy car camping conversion – home made camping box / boot jump, that is easily lost amongst the multitude of their travel and outdoors posts.
All the author needed was this:
- 3pcs wooden boards (blockboards), 58×112 cm, 22mm thick
- 3pcs plywood 120×40 cm, 16mm thick
- hinges/fittings (7 hinges 42x80mm, 6pcs screw-on brackets, 1m cord)
- M8 x 60 or 8x40mm screws for wood at the top (bed)
The resulting bed surface is 179cm long, which is just about the right length for a comfortable sleep (if you’re about 180cm tall).
You’ll need some standard DIY tools – electric screwdriver, drill, a saw.
The rest you can gather from the authors gallery below.
What I love about the setup:
- very easy to hide away + can stay in the car (so you have both – a camper and a normal car always ready when needed)
- no need to remove middle seats (again, it’s always ready for camping, as well as driving the family around)
- it’s not as tall as typical camping boxes – which I find great as most camping boxes have too much storage leaving not enough room for your head… and cost 15x as much too.
- not expensive at all – just wooden boards and a few hinges, very likely under 70 EUR
- simple enough to build
- you can turn it around and make a sofa out of it 🙂
More Caddy posts:
No time to make your own?
Get a profesionally built one with cool & award winning design as a bonus! Made especially for the Caddy.
Egoé nest “Hiker” Nestbox
From 2316 EUR (~1990 GBP)
- Volkswagen Caddy L1,L2, Maxi
- Ford Tourneo Connect
- Renault Kangoo
- Peugeot Rifter L1, L2
- Peugeot Partner Tepee
- Citroën Berlingo (2018) L1, L2
- Citroën Berlingo Multispace
- Opel Combo
Unfolded: 1110 × 1950 × 467 mm (39,8 x 76,8 x 18,4″)
Weight: 80 kg
EASY CAMP - Shamrock - Motorhome awningReady to fit your camper! 🙂
- Free delivery
- 100 days returns policy
- > 1,200,000 satisfied customers
- great for side sliding doors, should fit a tailgate too – Berlingo, Sharan, Caddy, Partner...
- 185T PU-coated and fireproof polyester
What do you think? If you’re going to attempt this build / conversion, share some photos in a link in the comments below!
Enjoy the ride (and the sleep!)
These might come in handy...
...and you'll help keep this website going too - thanks! :)