The upgraded camping version of the ID Buzz will not hit the market anytime soon. What is the difference between the standard ID Buzz and the ID Buzz California?
- Although the ID Buzz is suitable for camping, it doesn’t have all the camping luxuries that its brother, the VW California does
- The VW ID California should be more spacious, comfortable, and advanced compared to the T7 California, which is planned for 2024 as a plug-in hybrid
- The ID Buzz California will be based on the long wheelbase ID Buzz
- Expected EU launch (unconfirmed): 2025 and 2026 in the US
- The ID. California could deliver an EPA-estimated range of 225-260 miles – depending on the specifications selected (it will come with more battery options)
- The biggest issue seems to be the weight – all the camping gadgets add to the car’s weight, which creates a problem for an EV – VW will surely address it, but hence the later release date
- The price will likely be north of 60,000 EUR or 70,000 USD
The most important and iconic feature of the VW California is the hydraulic pop-up roof that extends your living area, allows you to stand up inside easily and hides a double bed.
Another highly useful camping gadget that the ID Buzz California will sport is the side pull-out awning available on the VW California, giving you a shaded and rain-protected area next to the car for your kitchen or dining area.
🏆Best cars for camping 🏆
- Fiat Doblò camper XL, High Roof 🇪🇺 4.0/5
- Honda Odyssey 🇺🇸 4.0/5
- Volkswagen Sharan 🇪🇺 3.9/5
- Caddy Maxi Camper (Life) 🇪🇺 3.8/5
And of course, plenty more luxuries you’d expect in an EV can be expected – a great infotainment system, lighting, with the added bonus of more interior room in the ID Buzz, making friends everywhere you stop because everyone loves the ID Buzz look.
VW promised to use many renewable materials to build the interior – kitchen, cupboards and seats, which is always a nice touch.
Albeit it’s not a budget camper’s option, the ID Buzz California will be a camper to behold for anyone, who can afford it!
All about the ID Buzz
More ID Buzz news:
The Dutch camping conversion company Outbase Campers plans a 4-person ID Buzz camper. Let’s look into its details!
The ID Buzz hasn’t had a chance to deplete its first battery charge and it already has a camping box / modular furniture that will easily turn it into a camper. These boxes are displayed in a VW ID Buzz…
Whether you’d like to try before you buy, or get your hands on the ID Buzz before it’s generally available for sale, SiestaCampers.com offer camping enthusiasts an opportunity to rent the new ID Buzz. The ID Buzz is a modern…
The ID Buzz is the electric version of the cult van – the T2 – or any of its successors (up to today’s T7). But they are all just vans with lots of seats in the back. There isn’t a…
Founder of NimbleCamper.com, avid traveler and outdoor enthusiast. Car camping and microcamping allows me to keep traveling and exploring with a much greater level of freedom & privacy – to go anywhere and sleep anywhere. I didn’t have 30K to buy a VW Multivan, so found my way to the world of everyday car camping conversions. Here I share my experiences and what I learn.