Read on to find the best collection of DIY camping conversion kits (plans) suitable for a Berlingo and other similar cars. Although it’s not the most comfortable car to drive, it makes up for it with its suitability for camping conversions – a Berlingo Camper might be just what you are looking for – especially if you plan a DIY conversion. It’s a cheaper and lower quality build, but that also means you don’t mind going a bit more DIY crazy as you would with a more expensive car. And its boot is pretty tall and long (especially if you opt for the long version).
No wonder many people seem to choose the Citroen Berlingo for their DIY camping conversion. This post contains my favourite videos of how other car camping enthusiasts converted their Berlingos into campers + a collection of the best camping conversion manuals I’ve gathered over the years.
I’ve picked DIY conversions in various price ranges, sorted from the cheapest – showing you that you can do a lot with this car no matter what your budget is.
Over time, I have collected other DIY conversions that you can easily apply to your Berlingo too:
DIY Berlingo Camper conversion kits – adjustable for Berlingo:
This Renault Kangoo + Skoda Yeti DIY car camping conversion comes with detailed drawings and diagrams that you can easily adjust to fit your Berlingo: (Kangoo is very similar to a Berlingo)
+ as a bonus, you’ll find a manual on how to create mozzie nets out of an old tent or thermal window screens
Alasdair’s DIY Challenge after seeing how expensive campingboxes are – 100 GBP (118 EUR)*
These might come in handy...
...and you'll help keep this website going too - thanks! 🙂
Pressure solar camping shower (pumped) – 10l
This camping shower is easy to transfer and doesn’t need to hang in the air – it has a built-in pump that lets you pressurise the chamber and shower or use it in the sink anywhere. It’s black, so the longer you leave it in the sun, the warmer the water will be (or just leave it in a hot closed car in the summer).
- Lightweight: 870 g including the bag
- 10 litre capacity | On/off button on the handle to prevent waste
Lewis’ (his dog and Rosie’s) Berlingo camper conversion kit just below 1700 GBP (2000 EUR) – a very cosy conversion 🙂
*he doesn’t mention the price in the video, but he does mention 100 GBP in one of the comments below
Clockoff.co.uk’s Berlingo camping makeover
They don’t mention the price, but from the look of things, this was probably more than 1700 GBP or close to that.
AdVANture’s Berlingo full monty – if you want to have it all
Citroen Berlingo camping PROs and CONs
- good size – especially the long / XL version (182-217cm, depending on model), but even the standard version is pretty tall (100-120cm, depending on model), easy to sit in even when converted to a camping car at the back
- easy to maintain, no expensive or hard to get parts
- cheap to run – about 6.3l/100km (37MPG)
- very good price on models up to 10 years old
- sliding middle doors
- front passengers’ backrest (and middle rear seat) folds down to create a table!
- because it’s a cheaper build, you don’t mind doing more DIY things to it…
- newer models (from 2020):
- have good front overhead storage
- rear seats fold down completely (but don’t have the table I mentioned above) – no need to remove them
- some models have awesome roof windows
- cheaper build, low drive & interior comfort
- noisy to drive
- cheaper materials & insulation (thinner walls)
- might need more maintenance and upkeep
6-person inflatable camping shelter – air seconds base connect – £299.99
Don’t like fiddling around with poles? This inflatable car tent might be the right choice for you. The sheet + poles make joining it to your car even more flexible. It has two large openings on opposite ends, giving you a choice of which side you’ll attach to the vehicle. It fits most MPVs – tailgate or side-door, you can connect it from two ends
- Height: 2.25 m (opening for tailgate 1.75m) | Floor area: 6.25 m2 (2.5×2.5m) | Comfortable for 6 people
- Openings on 4 sides (2 suitable for a car) | but only 1 mosquito net
- Weight 13kg
- Easy installation: Rapid pitching thanks to its all-in-one inflatable structure (requires a separate pump though)
- The fabric filters UV rays with a UPF of 50+, Waterproof, good quality – tested in long rain and strong winds, it holds up pretty well (relatively to the price)
Dometic HUB Air Modular Shelter
This car/suv tent offers very cool design and I love the versatility – fits SUVs, MPVs and campervans. You can pitch it freestanding on the beach, on-site with your camper or as valuable shelter when off-roading with your 4×4. Best feature is the ability to REMOVE (unzip) ALL 4 WALLS – making it an awning + tent in one!
- Width:230cm, Depth:230cm
- Attachment Heigtht: 180-210cm (fits tailgate as well as side door, MPV, SUV, Multivan)
- Windows have mosquito nets
- Weight: 13.8kg
A seat that backs up as a table!!
What adds to the usability of the Berlingo is the fact that the middle back seat and the passenger’s front seat backrest can be folded down and turned into a table – very useful and not available in many other cars: